Monday, June 15, 2015

Poppy Swing

Poppy Swing

Growing up, I loved my time on swings. The higher the better. I could spend hours sitting or standing, taking the swing to extreme heights, in opposite directions.
The love continued even after adulthood. I would run towards the swing whenever I would see one.
The joy came to a halt when I developed vertigo after giving birth to my first born.
My heart would sink at the slightest dip of the swing.
I could no longer go high, yet, I'd hold my infant in my arms and take her to the swings for mild moments, back and fro, as she enjoyed the ride.
With time, I overcame the vertigo and when my children needed a chaperone, I went with them on the multi looped roller coaster and enjoyed every ride, screaming my lungs out with them.
I could enjoy the swings again.
A few more years, and a bad back, brought back the gripping fear of jerks.
No longer, I dare go very high on the swings. I am back to mild rides, although occassionally, I sneak in a higher one :-)
As I looked at the Poppy in the picture that looked like a swing, the memories rushed by.
Oh, how life takes us on the swing ....up and down.
                                                       Shamsa Anwar



No comments:

Post a Comment